Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Here's What I'm Thinking So Far

1) Skyward Finance - can that be put back on?
2) Internet Explorer:
- I don't like the Delicious side bar that pops up when you first open it
- I would rather have my Google Search bar in the top-right hand corner instead of Bing
3) Firefox: annoying that Skype opens up in new tab each time you open it
4) Adobe icon in ZENworks Window - what do I do with this. Nothing really installed.
5) Open Office: what is this and why? I'm not liking the programs in this. They are similar to Word and PowerPoint but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do some of the things I've done before. Word equivilient - I couldn't figure out how to save it as a working .doc (saves as a .odt) b/c I changed it to save as a .doc but then I couldn't open it on another computer with Word.
6) I have Jing installed (or did before this trial) and I think everyone would benefit from having Jing
7) I miss my little Icon down in the bottom of the screen that allows me to access my desktop and minimizes all my open screens
8) Print is defaulting to "SMART notebook print capture" instead of my local printer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can't thank you enough! This is exactly the kind of feedback we need in order to tailor these applications properly!

Paul is working on replacing the Bing search bar (we hate that too) with Google and the little icon that lets you access your desktop (this is missing on Windows 7 and we're not happy about it)

It is likely that your profile did not copy over correctly or everything you previously had (including Skyward Finance) would be there. Paul and Andy will look at that now, as well.

Open Office is simply an open-source word processing option. It's been on the current images for awhile and is not nearly as complicated a program (nor as useful, I agree) as MS Word to create as an application in Zen. We've had some problems perfecting Word and we didn't want to put it out there if it's going to crash. It's in progress, though!

Right now, Skyward Finance is actually not an application that is running on anyone's actual machine...it is accessed through a VM (virtual machine), which is a different animal.

Skyward is moving towards being available on the Web, but Kimberly Israel says this is a long way away. Sorry we can't give you something to test on this!

Also, everyone is thawed, so if you all would like to install Jing and let us know if it would be helpful to consider creating for this fall, we can get the wheels turning on that process.

We'll check on the other issues, too. Is there a good time (I'll need a 30-minute window) of day when your computer will be powered on but I can access it to see what's going on with the other issues?

Heather Schubert said...

Thanks!